In traditional bathrooms grout, tiles, and waterproof adhesive help keep moisture out of the walls, however as wetrooms will be subject to much more water on both the walls and floors, an extra layer of waterproofing is required. This tanking helps protect wetrooms and walk in showers from leaks, which could be inconvenient and costly to fix in the future. Wet room supplier Orbry have a broad range of products including the Orbry Waterproofing System. Using the Orbry 2-Part Waterproofing System is a simple way to create a waterproof seal within a wetroom. The 2-Part Orbry synthetic latex tanking system is combined with Norcros Permalayer to create a waterproof and crack-free tiled finish.
Benefits Of The Orbry Waterproofing System
- Suitable for applications on timber or concrete substrates
- Ready for use on screeds after only 48 hours
- Ideal for use with underfloor heating
- Doubles up as a decoupling membrane, as well as a Waterproofing System
- Requires much less adhesive, compared to competitor membranes
- This Orbry Waterproofing System does not require joint tape
- Suitable for all types of tile
The Orbry Waterproofing System will fix 4m² of Permalayer. Each kit contains:
- 8kg cement-based Waterproofing Adhesive Powder
- 2.4 litres Waterproofing Admixture
This Waterproofing System is suitable for use on both timber and concrete floors, as well as for use alongside underfloor heating.
Before applying this system to your substrate, you must ensure that it is clean and dry. This surface should be level, even, and able to support the additional weight of tiles to be fixed.
- Concrete/Cement Applications: It is important to leave new screeds for a minimum of 48 hours before application.
- Existing Glazed Surfaces: Degrease the entire surface before applying a slurry-bonding coat (1 part Prime Bond:2 parts cement-based adhesive) using a brush and allow to dry.
- Water Resistant Chipboard (Flooring Grade): Using countersunk screws, the boards must be fixed to joists at a maximum of 300mm centres. Insert additional noggins where necessary.
- Tongue And Groove Floorboards: Follow the preparation for Water Resistant Chipboard, and then glue the edges of the boards. Prime with a coat of neat Prime Bond and allow to dry.
- Plywood: Ensure plywood is WBP or Marine grade, with a minimum thickness of 15-18mm to prevent deflection under load. Then prime both sides and all the edges of the plywood board with Prime Bond. Screw countersunk screws in maximum 300mm centres between boards and joists.
- Plywood Overlay To Existing Timber Floors: Again, the plywood must be WBP or Marine grade, and a minimum of 15mm thick and primed all over with Prime Bond. Screw into place through the existing timber floor as well as the joists, staggering the joints (with 300mm centres).
Mixing The Orbry Waterproofing System
Firstly, shake the bottle of Waterproofing Admixture thoroughly, this should result in an even dispersion of colour in the bottle. This should then be dispensed into a bucket, and gradually incorporate the Waterproofing Adhesive Powder by stirring. This should result in a smooth lump-free mortar, which is thick enough to hold the adhesive ribs without slumping. Once mixed, this product has a pot life of 30 minutes at 20°C, so it is essential to only mix enough material for 30 minute’s application.
Use a suitable notched trowel to apply an even bed of 2mm of mixed product to the prepared substrate. Roll out the Permalayer onto the adhesive bed. Press the tanking membrane firmly into the adhesive bed, allowing the Orbry Waterproofing Adhesive to push through the holes in the Permalayer. Ensure no gaps are left in the adhesive bed. To guarantee a 100% coverage, Orbry recommends a skim, coat of the Waterproofing Adhesive is applied on top of the Permalayer.
Joints between walls and floors, as well as shower trays, can be waterproofed using Orbry Waterproof Tape and Orbry Sealing Compound.
Underfloor heating mats and cables should be laid on top of the Orbry Waterproofing System and bedded into a screed of Pro 50 Levelling Compound. This must be left with the heating turned off for 14 days , and then brought up to operating temperature gradually (5°C/24 hours).
Both the Orbry 2-Part Waterproofing System and the Permalayer are available to order online at Tile Fix Direct.