What Are Waterproofing Kits?
Waterproofing kits conveniently contain all the items needed to tank (waterproof) small, indoor areas. They are suitable for use in wet or dry places and provide waterproof protection of substrates prior to applying tiles. They are ideal for use in showers, bathrooms, kitchens and laundry/utility rooms. Waterproofing kits add a protective waterproof coat on a variety of backgrounds such as cement, plaster and plasterboard. Tiled surfaces cannot be guaranteed waterproof unless they have specifically been made impermeable. Once you have used a kit to waterproof the area, you will be able to tile it and be assured that it is watertight and will not cause damage to the surfaces behind.
Using Waterproofing Kits
Waterproofing kits are specifically designed for indoor usage and are not suitable for external use or use in submerged environments, such as swimming pools. The waterproofing should be applied at temperatures above 5°C and tiling can be undertaken as soon as the membrane has dried, which varies depending on the kit used as well as the temperature and humidity of the room. Tile Fix Direct stocks a great range of waterproofing products that allow you to create waterproof environments in a variety of spaces. If you have a small area that you need to waterproof then an all-in-one waterproofing kit could be just the option for you. For larger spaces, purchasing several kits could be the right way to go.
Popular Waterproofing Kits
In this blog post we look at the features of three popular waterproofing kits that you can buy online from Tile Fix Direct: Norcros Wet Seal, BAL WP1 Waterproofing Kit and Ardex WPC Waterproof PRO Tanking System.
Norcros Wet Seal
The Norcros Wet Seal tanking kit consists of a 5kg liquid membrane, 500ml of Norcros Prime Bond Primer and 10m of 100mm wide waterproof polyester tape.
- Suitable for use on all types of wall and floor backgrounds.
- Great for using with ceramic, porcelain and natural stone tiles.
- Provides a flexible tanking membrane that can be applied with a brush.
- Tileable 24 hours after application in most instances.
BAL WP1 Waterproofing Kit
The BAL WP1 Waterproofing Kit contains an acrylic based flexible WP1 Tanking Coating, WP1 Polyester Tape, WP1 Polyester Matting, and APD Acrylic Primer.
- Suitable for areas where movement may occur (e.g. around drainage channels or junctions between walls/floors) and for preventing water penetration through suspended floors.
- Sets in 3 hours and drys in 24 hours in most instances.
- Ideal for using with most wall and floor surfaces, including brick and block work, partition walls and glazed tiles.
Ardex WPC Waterproof PRO Tanking System
The Ardex WPC Waterproof PRO Tanking System consists of a solvent-free acrylic dispersion and a reactive cement-based powder. The proportions of each can be adjusted to yield a brushable consistency for painting and roller application, or a non-flowing consistency for trowelling.
- Provides up to 6.6m² of coverage when using painting consistency.
- Rapid setting and drying time – tileable after only 90 minutes.
- Simple to apply with a roller, paint brush or trowel.
- Waterproofing, tiling and grouting can be completed in one day.