Building Adhesives Limited, better known as BAL, have been creating innovative tiling products in the UK for over 50 years. Their range of adhesives and grouts covers a range of tiling needs, and they all come with a 25 year guarantee to give you extra peace of mind. The BAL Waterproofing Kit has been the go-to tanking solution for domestic showers for many tilers, and now BAL have released their brand new Tank-it waterproofing kit.
The BAL Tank-it system is the ultimate waterproofing kit, providing complete protection in any environment. The new formula can be used in both internal and external environments, even in areas that are subject to total immersion including swimming pools, fountains, wet rooms, spas and balconies. BAL Tank-it can be used to create a fully watertight seal on both walls and floors.
BAL Tank-it can be used on the following bases:
- Lightweight blockwork
- Cement sand screed
- Tile backer boards
- Glazed & unglazed ceramic tile
- Hard natural stone
- Timber floors
- Plywood (walls)
The two-part system is made up of Tank-it powder and liquid, which are used in conjunction with the Tank-it scrim tape. It can be applied using a standard notched trowel, brush or roller – so there’s no need to go out and buy any new special equipment. No priming or matting is required, and once applied it can be tiled after just 90 minutes, reducing the overall time for the project. Each 5kg bag of powder and 5L bottle of liquid will cover approximately 0.73m2 when applied at 1mm thickness, each coat should be 0.5mm thickness.
- Rapid setting – tile after just 90 minutes
- Fast-track project completion
- No matting required
- Easy to use formulation
- Simple two-part mix and scrim tape
- Can be applied simply using a standard notched trowel
- Can be used for internal and external projects
- Suitable for total water immersion
- No priming required
Applying BAL Tank-it
- Firstly prepare the surface – for specific instructions on how to prepare your base material see the BAL Tank-it data sheet.
- apply the self-adhesive Tank-it tape to all internal and external corners, wall junctions with upstands and columns, pipe penetration points, junctions of different base materials and cracks or joints in backgrounds.
- In a mixing bucket, mix 1/4 of the powder with half of the liquid until a lump-free consistency is achieved. Add a further 1/4 of the bottle of liquid, mix for 1 minute, leave to stand for 2 minutes then mix again for 30 seconds.
- Apply the mixture to the walls and floor using 4x4mm notched trowel – if using a brush or roller more than one coat may be required. Keep in mind the 45 minute pot life of the product.
- Use a floating trowel to flatten the ribs to a thickness of 0.5mm before the surface has dried.
- Mix the rest of the powder and liquid using the same method as before.
- Apply the second layer using the same method as the first after 30 minutes, when the surface is touch dry.
- Leave until it is touch dry – approximately 60 minutes.
- The area is now ready to tile. Showers should not be used for at least 2 weeks after the grout is installed, and pools should not be filled for 3 weeks.
BAL Tank-it Powder, Liquid and Tape can be ordered online at Tile Fix Direct now.