We’ve Switched Our WPC Tanking System and Here’s Why You Should Too
At Tile Fix Direct we only stock the products which we believe are the best choices on the market for you, our customer. That’s why we have switched from the old grey WPC waterproofing to the new ARDEX WPC White Tanking System. ARDEX have over 60 years of experience and are one of the leaders in their field, so we know we can trust their product to do the job.
What are our reasons for switching? Well the new white colour has several great benefits that it’s grey predecessor did not:
- The white colour means it is easy to see the marks you make in pencil or pen on walls for the tiles, pipes or whatever it is you are fixing in or up.
- The new lighter colour makes it a great choice for installing glass or light coloured tiles, especially mosaics.
- The new white WPC tanking system will make the whole room brighter while you are working in it. This makes the new colour especially useful in small bathrooms or enclosed wet rooms with no little to no light or windows.
Besides these great new benefits to the new white tanking system, it still also has all the previous benefits the original WPC kit had.
Why Waterproofing is Important
It is vital to waterproof the area being used before doing any work – as well as sealing the tiles afterwards if required. By taking the time to do this waterproofing you will help protect your bathroom, wet room or any internal and external wet area, from mould. The application of the WPC will also help protect the background from any unwanted water damage and leaks and, ultimately, give you some well-deserved peace of mind. Not only that but It will also make the finished tiled surface more hard-wearing and durable.
Why WPC is Good & What You Get
ARDEX WPC White Waterproof Tanking System is used as a waterproof protection coat on backgrounds such as cement, gypsum plaster, plasterboard, or wood-based materials. It is quick and easy to use. After applying the coating, tiles can be fixed to the background. The protective coat can be used to seal internal corners between walls, filling in holes, joints and gaps around pipes, and to seal baths and showers before tiling.
The kit consists of two components; a solvent-free acrylic dispersion and a reactive cement-based powder. In each box there is a free roller and scrim tape to help you with the application of the product. The pack size is 5kg/Powder and 5kg/Liquid and with consistent and even painting the product should provide a coverage of up to 6.6m2.
How to Use the Ardex WPC Kit
Ardex WPC Tanking is quick and easy to apply, here’s our guide to help you apply the WPC kit properly:
- Ensure that you have the appropriate tools and sufficient ARDEX WPC to cover the intended area. Make sure the surface to be tiled is dry, rigid, of sufficient strength and free from dust, grease, dirt, etc. Make sure to wear suitable gloves and eye/face protection and apply at temperatures above 5°C.
- Mix a small amount of ARDEX WPC to a slump free consistency for filling holes, gaps, joints etc. For application by spatula, pallet knife or towel, mix approximately 1.75kg ARDEX WPC liquid with 2.5kg ARDEX WPC powder per m2 at 3mm thickness, i.e 4.25kg of Mix No.1 per m2 at 3mm. The working time is approximately 45 minutes at 20°C.
- Apply the mixed ARDEX WPC (MIX No.1) with a spatula, pallet knife or trowel to seal joints in corners and fill holes and gaps around pipes, etc.
- Mix approximately 0.75kg ARDEX WPC liquid with 0.75kg ARDEX WPC powder per m2 at 0.8mm thickness to obtain a flowing consistency. Apply this Mix No.2 evenly with a brush or paint roller to cover the surface with a uniform coat. Leave 1 hour between each coat application to allow the WPC to fully dry.
- Ceramic tiles etc. can be fixed onto the second coat of ARDEX WPC after approximately 2 hours.
You should now be all set to use the new ARDEX WPC White Tanking System, happy tiling from all of us at Tile Fix Direct.